Balch Springs, Texas – A family celebration turned into tragedy in the early hours of Sunday, July 27, 2025, when police responded to reports of a shooting at a home in the 3900 block of Peachtree Road.
Authorities say officers arrived shortly after 12:26 a.m. to find a man suffering from apparent gunshot wounds. The victim, later identified as 35-year-old Cristian Gabriel Montes, was rushed to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, where doctors pronounced him deceased.
Suspect Arrested at the Scene
Police arrested 19-year-old Leonardo Asis Campos Torres at the scene after multiple witnesses identified him as the shooter. Investigators confirmed that Campos and Montes were family members who had been attending a large gathering to celebrate the baptism of Montes’ young son.
Witnesses reported that earlier in the evening, Campos had allegedly fired a handgun near his parked vehicle. When Montes confronted him about the reckless behavior, the situation quickly escalated.
Confrontation Turns Deadly
According to statements given to police, the verbal altercation between the two men turned into a physical fight. During the struggle, Campos allegedly drew a 9mm handgun and fired at Montes.
After being read his Miranda rights, Campos admitted to shooting his relative but insisted he acted in self-defense. He told officers that Montes physically assaulted him, prompting him to retrieve the firearm and open fire.
However, the medical findings and evidence at the scene raised additional questions. Doctors determined that Montes had been struck by at least two bullets, one to the upper chest and another to the back. Investigators noted that the gunshot wound to the back suggested Montes may have been turning away or falling when the second shot was fired.
Officers also recovered multiple spent shell casings near a Chevrolet Tahoe parked outside the residence, further indicating several rounds were discharged.
Legal Proceedings Underway
Campos has been formally charged with murder and is currently being held at the Dallas County Jail on a $500,000 bond. Police say the investigation remains ongoing as they continue to review forensic evidence and witness testimony to determine the full sequence of events.
Community in Shock
The sudden death of Cristian Montes has left family and friends reeling, transforming what should have been a joyous occasion into an unimaginable tragedy. Neighbors described Montes as a devoted father, emphasizing the devastating impact his loss will have on his son and family.
“This is heartbreaking beyond words,” one family friend said. “What should have been a celebration of new life turned into a nightmare.”
Authorities say they are working closely with the family to provide support as the legal process unfolds.
Leave a Reply